
I'm excited about an outrageous radical workout DVD from "Beat Bush Back" I need to order - I heard them on KPFK today http://www.bbbwork.net/presskit.pdf
What a concept: take misogynist hip hop clips, drop in new lyrics related to social justice issues, and pair that with kick boxing and yoga. Quite the all-around workout for mind and body. I'll need the stamina...This week brought with it the beginning of a new semester, new challenges, new students. The intensity of teaching (at least for me) is exhilerating. I feel so alive, searching their eyes and finding connection, confusion, alarm, withdrawal, vulnerability, openess, fear. And I'm teaching them to do the same - to search, note, be aware, and eventually, to sit with and hold. I see my job as to inspire them to learn, grow, challenge themselves and each other, and develop into the best therapists they can be. I watch their alarm as they see me raise the bar of expectations, and I feel their relief as they learn that I am passionate in my support of them.
I'm also learning to teach distance courses to serve this rural area. How do I merge my natural teaching style with mics, multiple monitors, PowerPoint? Stay tuned. How ever will I carve out time for art exploration! Well the graphics from this Beat Bush Back website certainly inspire soft-block carving.


No comments:
Post a Comment